In 2016, UNESCOCAT began work on an initiative to promote the integration of the Sustainable Development Goals into holistic methodologies in schools.
The goals of the initiative are:
- To enhance the implementation in Catalonia of the most advanced proposals that are being proposed in an internationally agreed way to enable a transformative education that sensitizes and empowers people to contribute to achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- To provide tools and resources that promote advanced education for sustainable development in educational projects carried out in schools, with the incorporation of the SDGs and the global challenges they address.
- To create tools for children and young people to become aware of global challenges and make them their own through their own experience, thus being able to consider and understand how they affect the planet as a whole and its immediate reality, as well as how they can act and get involved in improving, promoting local action and the global citizenship dimension.
- To offer tools for teachers to have the resources to promote educational projects linked to the 2030 Agenda, incorporating the advanced features that are being considered at the international level in education for sustainable development.
- To develop a networking and an information exchange platform that allows synergies to be created and facilitates the work of schools that incorporate the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs into their educational projects.
- To foster a network of shared work between schools, civil society organizations, local bodies and government units that are a reference in each of the SDGs, in order to encourage partnership and cooperation between different areas and offer external support and accompaniment to schools in aligning their educational projects with the SDGs.
In short, the ultimate purpose is to develop a methodological proposal to disseminate and promote advanced education for sustainable development in the education system, integrating the work of the Sustainable Development Goals, with the aim of preparing our society to meet the main challenges and contribute to the implementation of the 2030 Agenda.